Tuesday, May 09, 2006

>Interview of Rakesh JhunJhunWala

Some ideas from interview;

Rakesh Jhunjhunwala:
I know a lot of people here. I had no office here; I used to come here with a bag. We used to get a ticket to enter the ring. I couldn't get the permission, so I used to stand outside the ring and see trading take place. And that's how I learnt. And I remember how I struggled and how I raised money. It's a moment of great happiness.

Rakesh Jhunjhunwala: I am passionate, I don't know whether I am philosophical or not. I am observant surely.

Rakesh Jhunjhunwala: See Ma'm, I've no clients except my wife because I don't want to be answerable to anybody. But with her, I've no choice.

Rakesh Jhunjhunwala: See, markets are about money, but markets are also about knowledge. Markets are also about egos; markets are also about the satisfaction of having been proved right. Especially, when that right is from an original thought and not from a guided source or following somebody. So I feel the anxiety, curiosity and the anxiousness to know about the market; it's quite general. But markets being markets, the ability is quite limited in my opinion.

Rakesh Jhunjhunwala: Suppose I invest in Titan. I bought 'x' number of shares, I was extremely bullish, right? And you know, I would have been greedy if I had put in more than certain percentage of my wealth into Titan. And I didn't do it out of fear that Titan might not do well. I might lose my principal.

Rakesh Jhunjhunwala: I think I was neither being greedy nor being fearful, I was just being rational.

Rakesh Jhunjhunwala: See, I read Economist and India Today, which I read cover to cover every week. In the Economist, I read the entire business section and the science and technology section. These are my constant reads. Then I read broker reports and go through balance sheets.

Rakesh Jhunjhunwala: Ma'm, I had no capital when I came to the markets, and no father gifts and no father-in-law gifts. So I had to earn the capital to invest. How do you invest if you don't have the capital? And I got the capital by doing all this future trading.

direct link:Being Jhunjhunwala: Bull of bourses

  • "Sooner or later, those who win are those who think they can." - Richard Bach

No comments: